Thursday, March 27, 2014

Jim Nabors hanging up mic after this year's Indy 500

Jim Nabors hanging up mic after this year's Indy 500

The 2014 Indianapolis 500 will mark the end of an era, as it will be the last year that Jim Nabors will sing "Back Home Again in Indiana" before the race. Nabors first belted it out ahead of the 500-mile race in 1972, and aside from two years, has sung before every race since 1987.


At 83 years old, though, we can't really blame Nabors, who travels to Indy from his home in Hawaii, for giving up the gig. He missed the 2012 race and the 2007 race because of health-related issues.

"I'll see you all in May; but I've come to the conclusion that my health doesn't permit me to travel very much anymore. So I'll be retiring from singing 'Back Home Again' at the Indy 500 after this year," Nabors said in a statement. "I want to give a special thanks to everyone; and particularly the Hulman-George family, who have a special place in my heart and are my wonderful friends. I've loved every minute of it."

As it stands, Indianapolis Motor Speedway hasn't said who will replace Nabors in 2015, although according to NBC Sports, the track does plan to honor the long-time singer.

News Source: NBC Sports

0 nhận xét:

Post a Comment